What do you win?
- Furnished workspace (office and/or cubicles – up to 1,000sf) with internet connectivity and phones for 12 months. Bring your computers and start working – plug and play!
- Memberships with BC Tech Association and/or LifeSciences BC with access to their mentors and programs.
- A work environment of like-minded entrepreneurs and perhaps a few non-like-minded.
- Introductions and networking opportunities with other tech companies at Discovery Parks and BC Tech’s Innovation Hub.
- Invitations to technology industry events.
- Free coffee. Yes – all the caffeine you can handle.
- Access to copying, scanning, and printing on a fee basis.
- Building amenities include meeting rooms, onsite café, fitness centre and secure bike parking.
- Located at Discovery Parks Vancouver – 887 Great Northern Way – near VCC Clark Skytrain Station, #84 bus route and the Central Valley Greenway.
Who should apply?
- Early-stage technology-based companies, preferably from Vancouver, that can show a high probability of success based on:
- A business plan with a credible business concept and development strategy for the next three years
- Sufficient financing in place for at least the next 12 months
- Strong financial, human resource and leadership expertise and capacity.
- A number of office spaces will be awarded to Health Technology companies, dependent on the quality of the applications.
How to apply?
- Submit your business plan in PDF format (no more than 5 pages long) addressed to
Discovery Parks via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Business plans ideally should explain your:
- Business Concept
- Technological Advantages
(including how you will protect your intellectual property)
(your current team and if you expect the size of your team to change over the course of the year)
- Potential Exit Strategy
Who will evaluate these submissions and how?
- A panel of judges from the BC Tech Association, LifeSciences BC, the Vancouver Economic Commission and Discovery Parks will evaluate the applications.
- The judges will review all of the business plans submitted. Applicants will then be short-listed for an in-person presentation/interview “Dragons’ Den” style.
- While no formal scoring criteria will be used by the judges, the most important criterion will be their perception of which applicants are most likely to succeed and grow.
- Consideration will be given to companies perceived most likely to benefit and work well in a shared workspace environment.
Sounds great, so what’s the catch?
Our philosophy is to set you up in the physical space and then let you get down to work and stay out of your way so you can focus on growing your company. All we require in return are quarterly reports so we can measure if this concept works:
- Growth projections in terms of product, revenue and employees
- How you intend to secure additional financing
- How you will make the transition from free rent to paying market rent after 12 months
- A description of your linkages and collaborations with universities and industry associations
- A description of how you intend to develop relationships with other companies in the Generator and the rest of Discovery Parks Vancouver
- Number of team members, current and anticipated, over the 12 months
Each successful applicant is required to sign a 12-month lease with Discovery Parks that includes these reporting requirements. Generator tenants are required to move out of the Generator at the end of their 12 months to make space for the next cohort.
Shoot us an email at email@example.com.
The Generator is 5,000sf of incubator office space available to high tech startup companies on a competitive basis. An initiative developed between Discovery Parks and the City of Vancouver in 2011, early-stage technology companies apply to win 12 months of free work space at 887 Great Northern Way. With access to mentors and programming provided by BC Tech and LifeSciences BC, the companies also have support available to thrive and grow.
Next Competition Dates:
Business Plan Submission Deadline – February 9th, 2018 at 5pm.
Short-listed applicants will be contacted mid March regarding the interview date.
Winners announced mid April.
Move-in June 1, 2018.
Questions? Want to visit the Generator before applying?
The Generator is based on the concept that free-flowing ideas, minimal barriers and a belief in serendipity accelerate the growth and success of technology companies.