Next Competition Dates:
Business Plan Submission Deadline – February 4th, 2022 at 5pm.
Short-listed applicants will be contacted early March regarding the interview date.
Winners announced mid April.
Move-in June 1, 2022.
Questions? Want to visit the Generator before applying?
What do you win?
- Furnished workspace (1 private office plus workstations) with Telus fibre internet for 12 months. Bring your computers and start working – plug and play!
- Memberships with BC Tech Association and/or LifeSciences BC with access to their mentors and programs.
- A matching business education allowance.
- A work environment of like-minded entrepreneurs and perhaps a few non-like-minded.
- Introductions and networking opportunities with other tech companies connected to Discovery Parks and Nimbus Synergies.
- Invitations to technology industry events.
- Free coffee. Yes – all the caffeine you can handle.
- Amenities include meeting rooms, kitchen, and secure bike parking.
- Access to printing, copying, and scanning on a fee basis.
- Access to the AWS Activate Program.
- Dog-friendly office (with restrictions).
- Located at 610 Main Street (corner of Main and Keefer) in the heart of Chinatown.
Who should apply?
- Early-stage technology-based companies that can show a high probability of success based on:
- A business plan with a credible business concept and development strategy
- Sufficient financing in place for at least 12 months
- Strong financial, human resource and leadership expertise and capacity.
- The Generator is ideally suited for teams of 1 to 10 people in size although larger teams can sometimes be accommodated. (With COVID-19 enabling remote teams, we can accommodate larger teams who work in hybrid capacity.)
- A number of office spaces will be awarded to Digital Health companies, dependent on the quality of the applications.
- Current Generator tenants are permitted to re-apply to win an additional 12 months in the Generator. Re-applying companies must clearly demonstrate to the selection committee why they should receive an additional 12 months.
How to apply?
- Submit your business plan in PDF format (no more than 5 pages) addressed to
Discovery Parks via email to email@example.com
- Business plans ideally should explain the:
- Problem you are solving
- Value proposition
- Product or Service including its Technological Advantages (any IP?)
- Business Model
- Go to Market Strategy
- Competitive Analysis
- Current Status including accomplishments to date, key metrics, past financing (if any) and future plans
Who will evaluate these submissions and how?
- A panel of judges from the BC Tech Association, LifeSciences BC, the Vancouver Economic Commission and Discovery Parks will evaluate the applications.
- The judges will review all of the business plans submitted. Applicants are then short-listed for an in-person presentation/interview “Dragons’ Den” style.
- While no formal scoring criteria will be used by the judges, the most important criterion will be their perception of which companies are most likely to succeed and grow.
- Consideration will be given to companies perceived most likely to benefit and work well in a shared workspace environment.
Sounds great, so what’s the catch?
Our philosophy is to set you up in the physical space and then let you get down to work so you can focus on growing your company. All we require in return are quarterly reports so we can measure if this concept works:
- Number of employees, current and anticipated, over the 12 months
- Quarterly amounts of any equity raised, revenue generated, and or grants/other funding received
- Plans to secure additional financing/funding
- Descriptions of your linkages and collaborations with other Generator companies, Universities and Industry Associations
- Plans to transition from the Generator to commercial office space after 12 months
Each successful applicant is required to sign a 12-month lease with Discovery Parks that includes these reporting requirements. Generator tenants are required to move out of the Generator at the end of their 12 months to make space for the next cohort unless they re-apply and are successful in winning an additional 12 months.
Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Generator is 5,000 sqft of incubator office space available to technology startup companies on a competitive basis. An initiative developed between Discovery Parks and the City of Vancouver in 2011, early-stage technology companies apply to win 12 months of free work space. With access to mentors and programming provided by Discovery Parks, BC TECH and LifeSciences BC, the companies also have support available to thrive and grow.